Saturday 26 February 2022

The Boatswain - Retop

21-24/02/22 - Week 7

This week I retopped my second character, this did end up taking longer than I'd planned so I am now behind by a couple of days so I will have to overstretch my retop plan.

I took a very similar method as my previous character, starting with a very low top base then adding onto this using turbosmooth. I managed to create the body and face rather quickly but the amount of small details and different pieces did slow me down a lot so I ended up getting to the guns a lot later than I would have wanted. I do think that the retop in comparison to the previous character is stronger, though I have been given some feedback to emphasise the sharp edges more using more loops in that area, so I will be adding this in before texturing.



The guns were much harder to retop and I struggled a lot with the amount of topology to add in and where specifically this should go. Looking at these now they definitely just need more loops added into them and this should even out the topology and give a better, more clean look overall. They are very low at the moment and I don't necessarily need that since the character ended up being a reasonable tri count, I can definitely afford to add some more in to tidy everything up.




To me, it was quite surprising how long this took in comparison to the previous character, but this has taught me that I need to be much more realistic, to combat this I have decided to cut into the time I need for my hair cards and try to catch up with retopping my next character and tweaking this one, I have given myself a week for the 3rd character so I am really hoping this is enough as this is all my spare time. As a stretch goal I could hopefully unwrap but if not I can cut into my texturing time.
Heres the edited plan for the next week:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Soft Blue - Final Review

06/05/22 - Week 17 Now that I have finished my projects I will review them over and see where I went wrong, could have improved or what I am...