Sunday 28 November 2021

Finishing Sculpting + Modelling the Shop Front

 28/11/21 - Week 8

This week, I modelled the shop front for my scene and then finished the modelling as a whole by sculpting the foliage.
The shopfront was modelled from my references and concept that I drew at the beginning of the project. I decided that I was going to make a high poly so I can bake a lot of this detail on as this is much more realistic with the restrictions on the cart. The low poly count for the cart also made me think about the items in the shop front and how I was going to approach this, after some discussion and thinking I have decided that I will be texturing the items as normal in painter and then baking the base colour map onto a plane so that the shop front window is not more than 1-3 planes rather than many tris which is unrealistic in comparison to the cart. If I get time I would like to make this a LOD, having the planes as the lowest LOD and then make a low top for the shop items for the highest poly LOD. As you can hopefully see in the shop I made a bottle, a tin and a box/pot to populate the windows.



Moving on to the rest of the week, this was spent sculpting the foliage. I created a small amount of leaves that I can build into a tree for the plant outside the shop front and then the citrus leaves to go onto the fruit cart amongst the fruit. As you can see I sculpted these in Zbrush. I am considering taking the tree foliage into designer to create a texture to go onto a base model then add some planes onto this to add the illusion of depth, you can see this done in some games like Bugsnax for example.


Lastly, I finished the pineapple from last week, I'm still not completely happy with the overall shape of the leaves on top and I'm not too sure why it's not working or looking as I wanted it to but for the sake of moving on this will be my final attempt. If I am really unhappy with this further down the line I will have to see if I have time to do anything that would provide a better outcome.


Overall, this week I made the progress I needed to but I feel in some cases that I could have made some things a bit neater and given it better quality, a lot of this is down to the fact that I made progress a bit slowly this week and I tended to rush things once I was doing them. I think this mostly shows in some of the details on the shop front, if I had a bit more time I could definitely perfect this a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soft Blue - Final Review

06/05/22 - Week 17 Now that I have finished my projects I will review them over and see where I went wrong, could have improved or what I am...