Thursday 2 December 2021

Retopping & Unwrapping

 29-02/12/21 - Week 9

After finishing the high poly of everything last week, I moved on to the low top. This process was quite basic and since a lot of what I was doing was boxes or more square shaped it was very easy to get this done quickly. This is good as I ended up changing my plans a bit as advised by a tutor. Instead of completing my unreal scene later down the line I was to start now and get everything into engine before hand in at the end of this week. Initially this seemed like quite a lot to do but in the end I managed to complete this faster than I perhaps once would have managed.



The cart was rather simple as previously mentioned. Finding some other examples on art station, I tried to resemble the poly distribution, this still caused some problems as I did want things to still look smooth and slightly chamfered to get the best result as possible for baking. I first ended up with a cart that was about 4k, this is double the limit so this was definitely too high, so by removing some of the loops and making things a bit more simplified I manged to get it down to about 2.5k which I think is reasonable within the limit of "around 2k". If this would be something that would need to be lowered most of the models on this asset are easily adjustable to remove loops so it wouldn't be too much of an issue.


The fruit did end up taking a little bit to figure out as I was a bit unsure of how low poly to take them since some of the fruit will be baked onto planes and there will be some stacked on top of this to create a better illusion. I ended up with going for about 50-80 tris per fruit though I am still a bit worried this is too dense. I'm not sure how effective it would be to further lower this but I think it may take some experimentation to figure that out.
I also arranged the fruit into the crates/baskets as they were on the photo, these are accurate to scale. I tried to match it as closely as possible to make it look more realistic and I think this helped a lot, I am not too sure which ones will be separate and which ones will be baked but I would like to figure this out when texturing.

I began quickly unwrapping things after completing this, again, since everything was mostly boxes this was not difficult. I didn't spend much time on it so some of it is rushed and I haven't yet separated it into uv sheets or figured out textile density. This was mainly so the assets were a bit easier to deal with in terms of lighting and doneness when putting it into engine tomorrow.
Now this is completed I plan to create a mostly finalised lighting scene in unreal so my feedback from the hand in will be a bit more helpful for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Soft Blue - Final Review

06/05/22 - Week 17 Now that I have finished my projects I will review them over and see where I went wrong, could have improved or what I am...